A Tale Of Two Veterans - Part Two


Okay, so I recently told you about how it feels to wrestle a veteran in this game.  Working Mr. Hughes was a great learning experience for yours truly.  This next story.. ..eh, not so much.

One night, I went to Ft. Valley’s AWN.  I’d frequented AWN for years since my career started.  I remained the unfortunate target of Simon Sermon’s classic “male camel toe” jokes, but that’s another story.  This was around the time my cousin Kimbro aka Mr. Jones was booking the place.  Bro’s booking style was notorious.  He was known for using the position to put himself in main events at other people’s expense.  The concept isn’t foreign in wrestling by any means but he was just blatant with it.  So one night, we were doing a show and in walks a guy that we hear is from the Pacific Northwest territory of old.  I’m shuffling around trying to figure out who this guy is.  I’d always followed that territory through PWI magazine and the like.  Eventually, I found out who he was.

Carl Styles.

Yep, Carl Styles – two times over the NWA Pacific Northwest champion in the late 1980’s.  So I’m thinking it’s gonna be great to work another guy who’s been up and down the road.  But here was the thing about Carl:  he was rigid.  Dude was unflinching when it came to working.  He pretty much vetoed anything during the match that did not favor him.  So I figured I’d try to make the best of a bad situation.  We begin to wrestle and I go into some simple chain wrestling with the guy.  I’m working his arm and twisting the damn thing.  I learned early on that you can sell the emotion in a match and draw people in with facial expressions.  So here I am twisting the shit out of his wrist.  I’m standing up and he’s in the ring on one knee….

…with a facial expression reminiscent of the iconic Thinker’s statue.

Now, legend has it that Carl had a severe eye injury during his earlier wrestling days.  So I didn’t know if he was having a moment of gogglely-eyed confusion or what.  So by this time, I’m pissed.  My first instinct is to kick the shit out of him for not selling, but I digressed.  That was the old me.  Somehow, we got out of that and he took over.  I forget most of the match but I remember one part.  The 50-year Cyclops grabs me for a gut-wrench suplex and damn near broke my neck after dropping me headfirst on the mat.  Thank God I learned how to tuck my chin.  Eventually I lost the match but I was glad it was over.  The only consolation I got from wrestling that match was afterwards.  I was in the locker room and Michael Stevens aka Marv sat in front of me and said “Velvet, man I’m sorry.  I’m so you had to go through that, man”.  Appreciate that.

Turns out Styles had blown some smoke up Bro’s ass.  Styles said that he was going to take the footage of the match with him to Puerto Rico in an effort to gain more exposure for AWN.  Bro inhaled the toxic fumes and never heard from Styles again.  Neither did I, but I ain’t complaining.  So easily stated, all veterans aren’t great to work with because they’re veterans.  Styles bragged about being a tag champion with one of the Guerreros and holding some belts I’d never heard of.  Nonetheless, it was a learning experience.  Happy I survived.  Even happier I can still walk!

Fin.

Comments