Friday night violence


With everything that I have going on nowadays, I am really starting to enjoy the idea of wrestling on Friday nights as opposed to the Saturday deals I’ve been doing for the last decade.  When the chance to perform is close to home, it’s even better.  Such was the case for me last weekend.  I wrestled my very first show for the local upstart Southern Violence and Wrestling in Eatonton, GA. 

I arrive to the VFW Building a little after 6 PM.  Doors are scheduled to open at 7 PM with an 8 PM bell time.  I’m alerted that the ring has yet to make it to the building.  When the ring finally does arrive, it’s 7:35 PM.  Nonetheless, gotta give the guys who brought the ring credit for putting it up so fast.  Before long, we were off and running.  My match was just before intermission.  On this night, I would be taking on Zaky Blane.  One look at Zach and you can see that he has an interesting bad boy kinda look.  He’s a young, tall, and athletic guy. 

Zach and I get right into the mix.  Most matches probably started with the traditional collar-and-elbow tie-up.  Me and Zach went right after each other with punches by the bunches.  I got the best of him early on but the tide of the match soon turned when he posted me on the outside.  He threw me back inside of the ring and stayed putting the hurt to me.  I fought back to the point where I introduced a chair into the mix.  This wasn’t a folding chair, but one of the more dinner table type of chairs that are usually stacked on top of one another after a show is over.  What you can do and how you do it very limited in the VFW building.  High flying moves are limited to the second rope at best considering the exteremely low ceiling this place has.  The potential to step out of the ring an unintentionally kis a ceiling fan in dangerously high.  Next, I used a folding chair to drop-toehold Mr. Blane onto the chair.  After a pair of Rock Bottoms, I pinned Zach for the victory.  How did I celebrate?  I chased him to the back with a chair.  Hey, it is called Southern Violence and Wrestling! 

The night’s action was called former WCW and Global Wrestling Federation commentator Scott Hudson.  It was awesome for everyone in that locker room to have their matches called by Scott and C-Double that night.  After my match with Zackary, Scott complimented me and told me I had a great match.  Huge pat on the back for me from I guy I’ve watched call matches featuring guys from Conan Chris Walker to Hard Work Bobby Walker and everyone in-between.  The main event was actually a lot better than I thought it would be.  The triple-threat match saw Skrilla win his first pro wrestling championship by pinning Ryan Michaels for the pinfall.  The match also included incumbent champion Chris Nelms.  There was a heel turn and a title change.  Ultimately, it set the table for a lot of good matches.  This fed is very young, having less than five shows under its belt.  With everything that happened on Friday, the booking of the show will really be tested for future shows. 

Well, my new week is just getting started.  As a wrestler and wrestling fan, it’s gonna be a big one for me.  The WWE Draft between two shows in happening.  Title vs title match on IMPACT Wrestling – which moves to Thursday.  The uncontrolled chaos of Lucha Underground on Wednesday.  GIWA Wrestling in Milledgeville, GA on Friday night.  And then, on Saturday, yours truly has TWO BIG MATCHES during the HUGE pro wrestling expo and show presented by Masters of Ring Entertainment in Wilmington, NC.  Man, what a time to be alive and be in this business!!  Everyone enjoy the week in wrestling.  It may be a while before we see one quite like this again!!!

Fin.

 

Comments